ISO 14001 is the most recognized international standard for environmental management systems. It is used worldwide. The standard specifies requirements for how to proactively achieve the following intended outcomes:
- Identify and understand the environmental aspects of its activities, products and services and associated environmental impacts.
- Understand how significant aspects can be managed, implement necessary controls and set clear objectives to improve environmental performance.
- Establish its environmental policy and objectives.
- Manage its obligation to comply with applicable legal and requirements and other stakeholder obligations, and to regularly check the compliance status.
- Continually improve the management system to enhance its environmental performance.